PhD in Civil-Environmental Engineering and Architecture
University of Trieste
Earliest start date
The Ph.D. course prepares culture-oriented and high scientific profile researchers to engineering applications, and enable them to develop knowledge, new methods of investigation, design and research activity in public or private bodies, along with managerial competencies. The available curricula are Architecture and Civil-Environmental Engineering.
Activities are oriented to advanced design, theoretical analysis, soft-computing, and experimentation. The first year includes courses or lectures on basic science subjects and organizational aspects of research, according to the weaknesses of the individual initial preparation and the selected research themes. An analysis of the state of the art will be also carried out, and the main theme of study will be identified. The second and third year will be devoted to the individual themes, and a stay in a research body of international relevance will be proposed. Common features are a multidisciplinary theoretical-experimental approach and interaction with the territory, the industrial and professional world.
The main objective is the enhancement of skills and professionalism of the Ph.D. students, with reference to the international job market. Correspondence of the planned activities to the course objectives will be evaluated during the planned meetings of the body of teachers.
Lines of research
1. Theories and methodologies of architectural composition
2. Studies and design of the city, landscape, territory
3. Methods and forms of architectural and urban design
4. Instruments and techniques of survey and representation of architecture and environment
5. Economic evaluation of the natural and built environment in architectural design and urban planning
6. Technological project and sustainability
CURRICULUM: Civil-environmental engineering
1. Structural and construction engineering
2. Hydraulic and infrastructure engineering
3. Survey for architecture and civil engineering
4. Economic evaluation of the natural and built environment in design and planning