- Duration (years): 3 years
- Qualification Awarded: Doctor of Philosophy in TESOL - Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- Level of Qualification: 3rd Cycle (Doctorate Degree)
- Language of Instruction: English
- Mode of Study: Full time and Part time study
- Minimum ECTS Credits: 180
Profile of the Programme
Aims and Objectives
- to enhance students’ ability to create, conceptualize, design and implement a substantial research project that generates new knowledge and contributes to theory and practice within the field of TESOL;
- to further students’ understanding and knowledge of English language teaching.
- to enhance students’ theoretical knowledge base in TESOL, second language acquisition, and applied linguistics research.
The programme provides excellent career opportunities for those who wish to become professionals in education and English language teaching, working for educational establishments such as the Ministry of Education, public and private universities or public and private schools as academics or administrators.
Access to Further Studies
Course assessment comprises of the examination of the thesis proposal, the thesis, the presentation of the thesis as a public lecture and the oral examination (viva).
The possible outcomes of the examination are:
- UNCONDITIONAL PASS (student awarded the doctorate);
- CONDITIONAL PASS, subject to minor amendments to be completed and checked by one or both of the examiners within 3 months;
- REVISION AND RESUBMISSION, which entails rewriting the Thesis and resubmitting it within 1 year;
- FAIL, but a student may be considered for a lower level award (where applicable).
The student must complete the thesis and all other programme requirements.
By the end of the programme, students will be able to:
- Acquire a strong theoretical knowledge base in TESOL, second language acquisition, applied linguistics research and TESOL methodology which merit publication.
- Conceptualise, design and implement a substantial research project that generates new knowledge that contributes to theory and practice;
- Evidence competence in the use of methodologies in TESOL inquiry and exhibit skills in the use of data analysis.
Scholarships - Financial Aid
The University offers scholarships and financial aid to full-time students, in the form of academic merit scholarships, financial-aid assistance, athletic scholarships, and on-campus work-study programmes.