Czech Republic


Students from EU/EEA countries and Switzerland do not need a visa to study in the Czech Republic. EU students have, however, a reporting duty after their arrival if the intended stay in the Czech Republic is longer than 30 days. In this situation, within 30 days of entering the Czech Republic, you need to declare your presence to the Foreign Police Department.

Students from countries outside the EU have to apply for a student visa.

There are three types of student visas for the Czech Republic:

1) Short-term visa - for stays up to 90 days
2) Long-term visa - for stays over 90 days.
3) Long-term residence permit for study purposes - for students arriving for a period longer than one year.

You apply for your student visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the Czech Republic in your country of residence. You can find an overview of Czech diplomatic missions abroad here:

You will first need to be accepted to an educational institution in the Czech Republic. The school/program has to be accredited by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports of the Czech Republic. If it is not accredited, then you have to apply for the visa for other purposes.

First-time visas must be applied for (and obtained) before their arrival to the Czech Republic.

When applying for your visa, you will need to provide a list of documents, among others an application form, a letter of acceptance for studies, proof of financial resources and international health insurance. While lodging the application, an interview with the applicant can be conducted.